Sunday, August 22, 2010

'Twas the Night Before Kindergarten

Ugh.... I just totally blew the night before kindergarten!! Well, not totally, but pretty gosh darn close!!

So we have had a rockin' week - we have kicked "back to school" 's arse! We have vacationed a little, rested a little, organized a little, and for the first time ever - even in my own academic career -I can say we are relaxed and too cool for school.


So fast forward to tonight - started the night before school rituals: pack the lunch, brush teeth, blah blah blah.... then it is time for quiet time right before bed. I remember - hey wait - we have the " 'Twas the Night Before Kindergarten" book we got at pre-school graduation - we have to read that!! I find it and snuggle up with Ben who is uber excited:



'Twas the night before kindergarten,
and as they prepared,
kids were excited
and a little bit scared.

They tossed and they turned
about in their beds,
while visions of school supplies
danced in their heads.

Erasers and crayons
and pencils galore
were stuffed in their backbacks
and set by the door.

Outfits were hung
in the closets with care,
knowing that kindergarten
soon would be there.

In the morning it came -
school starts today!
Would the teacher be nice?
Would they still get to play?

Faces were washed,
and teeth were brushed white:
kids posed for pictures with eyes sparking bright.

I won't type the whole book - but you get the point. It goes on to talk about heading to school and being nervous and meeting the teacher and friends and .... then it gets to this part:

When what to her wondering eyes
should appear
but sad moms and dads
who were holding back tears!




Well - great!!! Let's just say it wasn't pretty! I tried .... I mean I tried really really REALLY HARD not to cry, but cry cry cry is what I did! The more I tried to stop, the worse it got .... the ugly cry! Ben reaches over and hugs me and I just smile and say how proud I am of him and what a big boy he has become and how excited I am for him and (teary eyed) he goes, "....but mommy... those aren't happy tears...." Oh pumpkin, YES!!! I promise you they are! Mommy is so excited for you! I promise you these are happy tears!!

So he leaps off his bed into a huge bear hug and we end up on the floor in a big snuggle/tickle/kissing ball (both with wet cheeks). I managed to pull it together and get him back into bed and tucked in with happy thoughts about the next day's adventure!

.... I am sooooo going to need to take something before the bus pulls up tomorrow!! Ben has already warned me that, NO - I cannot drive him to school, he will be taking the bus!... and ALL kissing and that stuff (motioning to my face, so I can ony imagine he means crying) has to happend BEFORE the bus comes!!
They grow up so fast!!


No comments: