Saturday, March 07, 2009

We bought a ticket....


A long time ago, my father (who passed away 5 years ago), told me this great joke/story about a man in need praying to God for help - this story has always stuck with me in my bones. I am sharing it with you here so that the clip and explanation below makes more sense so - please - indulge me:


Joe found himself in serious financial trouble. He was desperate he decided to pray to God for help. He begins to pray. "God, please help me. I've lost my business and if I don't get some money, I'm going to lose my house as well. Please let me win the lottery."
Lottery night comes and somebody else wins it. Joe again prayed."God, please let me win the lottery! I've lost my business, my house and I'm going to lose my car as well".
Lottery night comes and Joe is still out of luck. Once again, he prayed."My God, why have you forsaken me?? I've lost my business, my house, and my car. My wife and children are starving. I don't often ask you for help and I have always been a good person and loyal to you and the church. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... I beg you...just let me win the lottery this one time so I can get my life back in order."
Suddenly there is a blinding flash of light as the clouds part and the heavens open up. Joe falls to his knees in awe, shielding his eyes from the light as God's voice booms "Meet me halfway on this, Joe. Buy a fucking ticket!"


Well - Last week I am in my car on the way home from working with Kyle on our audition DVD and I was a little anxious and tired and frustrated so I put my sure fire inspiration song on - "God is trying to tell you something" from the Color Purple. I am weeping with prayer and I literally start yelling over the music - HELP ME, GOD!! I am meeting you half way!! I am buying the ticket!! PLEASE!!!

Fast forward a day or so and I am on the phone with Tiffanie and we are talking about how deflated I already am - Allison had already chewed my ass out earlier for sounding down when I hadn't even gotten on the field to play yet. I told Tiff that I was just frustrated in my mind that we were working SO hard on all this and the idea of no one seeing it, the idea that we couldn't even get an interview, was just overwhelming. She said - you know honey it's like they say - you can't get an interview if you don't send your resume out - you gotta buy the ticket! I nearly crashed my car. Why did you just say that?!?! WHY WOULD YOU JUST SAY THAT?!?!?! Have I ever told you the story my dad told me (see above)...I can't believe you JUST SAID THAT... she smiled through the phone said I love you and hung up.
The next day - I have had about 4 hrs of sleep, and I hear the morning news announce the casting directors for the Biggest Loser on the next segment - the casting director is talking - bring your pic, fill out an application ... yadda yadda yadda... we expect 500-1000 people, be patient - YOU HAVE TO REALIZE - THIS IS LIKE A LOTTERY TICKET FOR A LUCKY FEW.....

That was it - I hear you God - God was trying to tell us something - he was telling me I heard you the other night, I bring it back to you in the form of your best friend and I confirm it with the casting director.

So - THAT is what we mean when Kyle and I talk about "We bought the ticket"- we showed up - we did our half and we hit it out of the park - the rest is out of our hands...

Here is the video version of the blog post I wrote earlier - I am the writer - Kyle is the vlogger, so this is from his website:

No comments: