Thursday, November 24, 2005

Five years and counting.....



I went to a psychic in Little Italy right before New Year's Eve, 1999. She told me that I was going to meet the man I was going to marry but we would not start dating right away.
New Year's Eve 1998-1999
I was working at the Olive Garden in Times Square, so some friends and I went to the party there. I was greeted at the door by this good looking tall security officer from Brooklyn. He opened the front door of the Olive Garden and said "I was told to let this pretty lady in". I smiled and blushed and turned my attention to my manager who was standing next to him and gave him a hug and went into the party.
Monday, February 8, 1999
I had the morning shift. I basically fell out of bed, threw make-up on my face and my hair in a head band. I was downstairs in the cafe and this very good looking tall security officer from Brooklyn comes in the front door walks past the hostess stand, and up the escalator to the main dinning area of the restaurant. I walk up to the hostess stand.
"Who was that?!?"
"Becky, you know him...he is in here every Monday"
"I have NEVER seen him before"
"YES you have... "
"NO, I would remember him" (of course I didn't remember him from New Years)
So I go on with my lunch rush. About a half hour later, I am standing at the computer putting an order in when I hear:
"Rebecca.... I would like you to meet someone....."
Oh my God... she didn't...I have about 5 seconds to flash my brightest smile and look up from the computer which I was now clutching on to.....
Later that week, he came back.... we exchanged very casual pleasantries and then I found an excuse to bolt into the kitchen....
Allison.... my very dear friend who I followed to New York shortly after she and her husband moved there, comes to the back.
"What the hell is wrong with you?!"
"You know me ... I don't DO that kinda stuff well..."
"Well, get over it..."
"I can't ... is he still here?"
"NO!!!.. Do you like him?"
"Yes... I do... I really do...."
"Good ... cause I gave him your number and told him that you would be home around 5 o'clock today and you better ANSWER the DAMN PHONE!!!!"
We talked for hours that night and agreed to a date on Saturday, February 13th. Our first date was a walking tour of Lower Manhattan and dinner and drinks in Brooklyn.
A month later on a date celebrating his birthday, he took me to Coney Island. It was a beautiful, clear cold night and we walked along the beach. We held hands and I finally had the courage to tell him, "This would be a perfect opportunity for you to kiss me" and we shared out first kiss under a full moon.
The following Christmas, he asked me to be his wife.
November 25, 2000, we were married. It was a wonderful day that I will never forget. My favorite part of the ceremony was right before we exchanged rings:

Hands of the Bride and Groom

Rebecca, please face Michael and hold his hands, palms up, so that you may see the gift that they are to you.

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and vibrant with love, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as he promises to love you all the days of his life.

These are the hands that will work along side yours, as together you build your future, as you laugh and cry, as you share your innermost secrets and dreams.

These are the hands you will place with expectant joy against your stomach, until he too, feels his child stir within you.

These are the hands that look so large and strong, yet will be so gentle as he holds your baby for the first time.

These are the hands that will work long hours for you and your new family

These are that hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.

These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes: tears of sorrow and tears of joy

These are the hands that will comfort you in illness, and hold you when fear or grief wrack your mind.

These are the hands that will tenderly lift your chin and brush your cheek as they raise your face to look into his eyes: eyes that are filled completely with his overwhelming love and desire for you.

Michael, please hold Rebecca’s hands, palms up, where you may see the gift that they are to you.

These are the hands of your best friend, smooth, young and carefree, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as she pledges her love and commitment to you all the days of her life.

These are the hands that will hold each child in tender love, soothing them through illness and hurt, supporting and encouraging them along the way, and knowing when it is time to let go

These are the hands that will massage tension from you neck and back in the evenings after you’ve both had a long hard day.

These are the hands that will hold you tight as you struggle through difficult times

These are the hands that will comfort you when you are sick, or console you when you are grieving.

They are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.

These are the hands that will hold you in joy and excitement and hope, each time she tells you that you are to have another child, that together you have created a new life.

These are the hands that will give you support as she encourages you to chase down your dreams. Together as a team, everything you wish for can be realized.

Happy Anniversary, my love....

No comments: