Friday, January 07, 2005

This is ridiculous....

So I am taking a few moments to wander the internet while Max eats lunch and Ben takes a nap when I come across an article about a public service announcement in Gaza starring Richard Gere urging Palestinians to get out and vote this Sunday in their elections.
Are you joking me??
I cannot believe the arrogance. There were meetings about this PSA. Several people joined in the conversation whether or not this was a good idea. How could people have thought this was a good idea?
Dear Actors of Hollywood:
Please let me take this opportunity to thank you for entertaining us for so many years. I actually pay money to see you pretend to be other people. I have no interest whatsoever to see you (or those close to you) spend that money to tell us how the world should be run. If you want to move me to action pay the writers of your next movie little more to put in a great monologue that makes me jump up to join the peace corps or give money to those who do.
And for God's sake... and I really do mean GOD... please don't start going to other countries around the world. They hate us enough without a man who played a rich millionaire who hires a prostitute for companionship urging a country who already disrespects women telling them they should go out and vote...IN ENGLISH! I can only thank God that they more than likely don't speak English and have no idea who he is in the first place.
P.S. I am so glad that you have enough time and cash to spend giving to those in need, but please don't turn it into headlines. I think little Jimmy giving all of his allowance is more news worthy than you shaving off a lousy 1-5% of your massive net worth. And don't go to these places to "boost moral" and use what little resources are available in the first place unless you plan to stay awhile and change a few bed pans, administer a few shots and hold the children as they bury their own parents who have been rotting along the street for a week.

I am going to get off my soap box now, because I know there are others who need the wood.

No comments: