Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Blogging for Lent


I am not much of a Catholic. I am probably better described as pseudo Catholic, fallen Catholic, or Catholic-lite. There are so many reasons why I choose to stay just outside the threshold of the church, but I appreciate so much of what it gave me growing up.

One of the things that I came to find comfort in was the ritual and habitual comfort that Catholic church and Mass brought. Lent was a big thing for me. Lent was very dramatic, very deep. Lent represented a period of reflection and challenge. You were challenged to sacrifice and think of others for the greater good. When you do this, you can't help but to focus on changing for the better. If you gave up sweets, it was a sacrifice, that in the long was a healthier choice for you. If you decided to volunteer or give your time to something, again, a sacrifice that leads to an inner satisfaction of helping others.

So here we are at another 40 days of reflection for me. I like to take these challenges because it forces me out of my comfort zone. It forces me to get up off my rump in the deep dark cave and realize that perhaps it was me who wandered in this cave and sat down in the first place - no one put me here. I choose to do it here because I hope, in some small way, being honest with myself helps others to realize that we all have the same uglies lurking in our mind and when we get it out and talk about it, it turns out - they ain't that bad after all....

So .... I begin another long stretch of blogging people... I hope to come here at least once a day for forty days. I can't promise they will all be jewels. I cannot promise they will all be reflective, but I can promise they will all be 100% me.

No comments: