Sunday, April 20, 2008

Ben's Baptism



So today we baptized Ben and my nephew Konner. In the Catholic religion, this usually happens right after birth, but "right after birth" we were still dealing with the death of my father and a whole lot of other family changes. After that, it was an embarrassment that they kept getting older, so I would just push it further and further to the back of my mind. I didn't want to make a big deal of it, we didn't invite anyone or have a party like we did with the others and ....well... honestly it boils down to the fact that with Ben's surgery coming up in 2 weeks, I just couldn't go into this process without a little extra assistance from above so to speak.

My mother was the Godmother and my uncle was the Godfather. We talked about to Ben so he would understand it was important to be a big boy and behave. I didn't want him to be scared and I wanted him to know this was a special day just for him - not him and Max - just for him. So much of his life has been in the shadow of Max, so I think he really enjoyed today, HE was the one all dressed up in the tie, HE was the one in all the pictures.



The Deacon brought them up the baptismal font and showed them what it was and not to be scared. At first the were a little worried, but then they got the hang of it.



When it came time for them to be baptized, they were so great. They did their part perfect with no complaints, and big smiles on their faces when the congregation applauded.




I have a long history with the Catholic religion, some good, some bad - it is kind of like family, it is a part of you. You may not agree with all of it, and you may only come around on holidays and special occasions, but it is nice to know it is there when you need it. Today we needed it, and I am glad it was there for me and my family.

No comments: